We are seeking a Financial Controller with a passion to see God’s Word distributed in Canada and worldwide.
Directly reporting to the Vice President of Business & Finance and working on and with the Business Team, the Financial Controller will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the finances & accounting functions and will provide accurate and timely information for the organization, including analysis, budgeting, and financial reports. The Controller also maintains the company's accounting systems and implements changes as required, including recommending enhancements of operational and financial efficiencies.
The Gideons / ShareWord is a vibrant, innovative and growing organization that seeks to change lives around the world by bringing the Gospel to those areas most in need. Working with us means that you will be an integral part of a ministry that is impacting the world with the Gospel. The Gideons International In Canada is a world-renowned organization established in 1911. For over 100 years it has been sharing the Word of God with the world.
The Financial Controller is responsible for:
- Managing the accounting operations including the creation and review of journal entries, payroll, inventory, capital assets, and online & offline reconciliations.
- Providing advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, and new business endeavours as they relate to finances and accounting.
- Research and advise on International accounting functions alongside the VP. Work with the VP to build accounting and financial administration structures in the global areas we are building ministry in.
- Managing the payroll function, including setting up of new hires, tracking days off and maintaining the data.
- Employee benefits and pension plan administration.
- Prepare, analyze and send monthly results for each department, and financial reports for our membership as required.
- Bank reconciliations and preparation of cash flow reports and analysis as needed. International wire transfers and managing foreign exchange transactions.
- Work with the Business Team to measure, analyze, and improve current processes which impact customer quality and influence internal operating efficiency.
9. Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies.
10. Work with the VP to formulate budgets and input same into the accounting software, analyzing & implementing the spread of the budget throughout the fiscal year by month.
11. Work with external auditors on the annual audit.
12. Financial reporting to various companies and agencies (CCCC, Insurance, StatsCan, CRA)
13. Generation of reports of performance against budgets, including analysis and forecasting.
14. Supporting new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective.
15. With input from the VP, responsible for the formulation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
16. Other related duties as required, including cross-training on donation revenue administration.
The ideal candidate would possess the following skills:
- Strong financial and accounting skills, knowledge of accounting procedures and protocols. A designation in accounting would be ideal.
- Database software experience including customer relationship management (CRM) and accounting databases. The Blackbaud suite of products is our main software system
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records, payroll, pension, and the like
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and also good attention to detail
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines
The Gideons International In Canada is an evangelical Christian ministry, dedicated to sharing the Word of God with the world. As a Christian evangelical ministry, candidates must be able to demonstrate a personal commitment to Jesus Christ, identify with our Statement of Faith and the mission of The Gideons.
Applications: Interested applicants will submit a letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Business Department
Reports to: VP of Business & Finance